With all the hype in the news about corona virus, fear seems to be running rampant. But remember that your mindset, bolstering your immune system, and being prepared will be your best defense for staying healthy.
Living in a constant state of anxiety and fear is not healthy or helpful. Finding ways to take care of yourself and your loved ones, as well as regular self-care can help optimize immune function and decrease the effects of stress that are all too often a part of our lives today.
All day, every day you’re exposed to pathogens. Every time you visit a public space, you encounter new pathogens. Every time your family member visits a public place they bring home new strains.
Basics of Current Corona Virus (COVID-19).
Human corona viruses were first identified in the mid-1960s. We are currently aware of seven different types of human corona viruses, four of which are associated with mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold.
COVID-19 is spread by close person-to-person contact from droplets from a cough or sneeze, which can get into your mouth, nose, or lungs. Close contact is defined as being within approximately 6 feet of another person. Currently, there aren’t many cases in the U.S., so the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low.
If you were recently exposed to someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 or have been in a place where an outbreak has occurred within the last two weeks the following symptoms could indicate you have contracted COVID-19:
- shortness of breath
- other cold or flu-like symptoms
Unless your symptoms are severe, it is recommended you call your healthcare provider first before entering a healthcare facility.
The World Health Organization says 80% of people with COVID-19 have a mild form of the illness with cold- or flu-like symptoms. The people most likely to get seriously ill from this virus are people over 60 and/or those with pre-existing health conditions.
Your immune system…a powerful warrior against Corona Virus.
In adaptive immunity, a threat must be processed and recognized by the body, and then the immune system creates antibodies specifically designed to the threat. After the threat is neutralized, the adaptive immune system “remembers” it, which makes future responses to the same germ more efficient.
To process these threats, the immune system uses “immune cell warriors” to mount a defense. Some of these include:
- white blood cells
- killer cells
The best way to weather cold and flu season or to prepare for heavy hitters like corona virus, or a host of others super-flu’s experienced in recent years, is to bolster your immune system so that your own immune cells are robust and can fend off pathogens.
How can herbs and supplements be powerful weapons against corona virus and other pathogens?
The immune system needs specific nutrients to support the production of “immune cell warriors”. Very few people are able to get all of the nutrients needed from diet alone, so herbs and supplements can be a powerful ally in boosting these nutrients.
Herbs and supplements are safer than prescriptions when trusted brands are used, they are purchased from reputable companies, and they are used in safe doses.
They can almost always take care of the job without the aid of pharmaceutical drugs.
Herbs and supplements are well studied and safe, but most conventional doctors aren’t trained to use them so they don’t often recommend them.
Even in light of this, there are times when pharmaceutical drug interventions may become necessary.
But why not empower yourself to be as prepared as possible to weather a health threat?
These top 5 supplements can make a big difference in bolstering your immune system.
Ionic Zinc – Critical for over 400 actions in the body; and one of zinc’s main roles is immune support.
Not all forms of zinc are the same. So, why ionic zinc?
- It is the same form of zinc found in food.
- It needs no conversion by the liver and is immediately available for use.
- It provides a critical mineral your body needs to produce robust, healthy, powerful immune cells.
Necessary levels of zinc can no longer be obtained through diet alone because zinc in the soil has been depleted with chemical farming. Because chemicals are airborne, this is also true of soil on organic farms.
I personally use and recommend this ionic zinc concentrate from Good State. I add 1-2 droppers in each quart of water I drink. And I drink 3 quarts of water a day. If you are new to ionic zinc, start with less and work up. Be sure you mix the zinc with at least 16 ounces of water, but 32 ounces is best since it can cause nausea when first introducing it to your system.
Vitamin C – Supports robust, healthy, strong immune cells.
The most common supplemental form of Vitamin C is ascorbic acid. While ascorbic acid is the most widely used form of vitamin C, it is overly acidic and difficult on the digestive system.
Micro C and Ester C are both buffered forms of ascorbic acid which has been neutralized with calcium carbonate. Unlike ascorbic acid, buffered forms of this vitamin have been shown to be much easier on the stomach, remains active in the body for 24 hours, and is taken up by white blood cells more readily than regular vitamin C.
I personally use and recommend Micro C from Vimergy.
Sovereign Silver (SS) or Argentyn 23
- Both are nano-particle products, also negatively charged which makes them unique in the silver market and is the reason it is so highly effective. They are different than colloidal silver.
- Argentyn 23 is a stronger, professional grade.
- These two forms of silver are incredible for fighting off any sort of pathogen (flu, virus, strep, staph, E. coli, etc.).
- Supports the health and resistance of mucous membranes that line the digestive, respiratory and urinary tract to help act as a barrier shield.
- Alcohol free goldenseal by Nature’s Answer. You can also order this at iHerb or Vitacost. Be sure you get alcohol-free as alcohol denatures the herb(s).
Ginger, Turmeric, Garlic, and Lemon juice
These are powerful foods that have many properties. To name a few they are:
Juice knobs of fresh ginger and turmeric and add that to lemon water. (I usually add about 1 tablespoon of juice from each, but make it to your taste.)
If you don’t have a juicer, finely chop the ginger and turmeric and steep in hot water to make a tea first.
You can also buy ginger, turmeric and garlic in supplement form, but the raw foods are powerful and highly absorbable.
Strong habits can positively influence your immune system function.
In addition to practicing responsible cough, cold and flu etiquette, washing your hands frequently and keeping your distance from others who are sick to prevent the spread of germs, there are some natural approaches to supporting overall health as well.
- Eating a diet rich in fresh fruits, veggies, and leafy greens. What I mean is something like 10 or 15 servings a day. Don’t let that scare you. Each serving size is different but a serving is often 1/2 cup (1 cup if it’s leafy like spinach or lettuce). If you spread your produce throughout the day, it’s easy!
- Keep the animal foods, dressings, sauces, cheeses and fatty additives to a minimum. All of that fat thickens the blood and makes it harder for your immune cells to swim in the bloodstream and fight your battles.
- Stay hydrated. Drink 2-4 quarts of filtered water a day and remember to add fresh lemon or lime, and some raw wild honey.
Additional tips if you are in public places:
- Bring and use sanitizer wipes generously.
- Be mindful about touching or rubbing your eyes, your nose and even your ears as they are access points.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with warm water and soap.
- Bring the bottle of Sovereign Silver with you. Put one drop in each eye and each ear every hour or two of your trip, including wait time during layovers.
- Bring the 2 oz. spray bottle of Sovereign Silver and squirt a few sprays up your nose every hour or two.
- Use good quality anti-viral essential oils. You can diffuse them in the air or make your own hand sanitizer (1/2 cup pure aloe vera gel + 2 teaspoons with hazel + 8 drops essential oil of your choice, shake before using).
- If you haven’t been nurturing your immune system, consider wearing a mask.
Remember the best protection against corona virus and all pathogens starts with a strong immune system.
Being prepared in advance of any event is important. But it is a key factor in helping you stay healthy when super bugs rear their ugly heads is to:
- Manage stress, fear, and anxiety
- Keep your immune system strong
- Practice regular self-care
- Implement good cold and flu hygiene
Disclaimer: I receive no compensation from any of the product links in this post.